The perfect time of year to undergo surgery just does not exist. With each season boasting its own set of outdoor and indoor activities, it can be difficult to decide the best season for healing. If you have the option of choosing the time to undergo a back or spine procedure, you may believe that winter’s the best season to grab a little downtime.
In the winter, the cooler weather may make the indoors more appealing, or maybe it’s just the best time to take advantage of a slowdown at work. Whatever your reason, winter actually is a good time to visit EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region, formally Carolina Orthopaedic Specialists. Nestled in North Carolina mountain towns, EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region is surrounded by back pain friendly winter activities
Back Pain Friendly Outdoor Activities
Walking is one of the best rehab activities you can do following back surgery — as long as you have the OK from your back surgeon. So take advantage of some of the North Carolina mountain, sites that are especially inviting during the winter:
- Bakers Mountain Park in Hickory, NC encourages exercise. With elevation changes along the way, it is sure to get your heart pumping. Take it slow while hiking and rest when needed. You don’t want to overdo it on the physical activity. However, if you make it to the top of Bakers Mountain, the view will not disappoint.
- If you are not quite ready for the rigors of hiking, T.H. Broyhill Walking Park in Lenoir, NC is sure to catch your fancy. With breathtaking and well maintained landscapes, even in the winter months this is a destination you do not want to miss.
- There is nothing like the calming natures of a waterfall to encourage you to partake in a back pain friendly outdoor activity. If you are ready to be blown away by the beauty of nature, McGalliard Falls Park in Valdese, NC is exactly what you are looking for. Take a walk or hike to the falls and bask in the beauty
- If you are interested in history, be sure to check out Fort Defiance in Lenoir, NC. It is the old home and farm of General William Lenoir who served in the Revolutionary War.
- The Catawba River Greenway in Morganton, NC is a great destination for an outdoor stroll. There are paved walking trails and river views to make your exercise enjoyable.
Back Pain Friendly Indoor Activities
Although the mountain landscape may keep you from wanting to retreat indoors, there are many indoor activities scattered across our service area that are back pain friendly. No matter your interests, you are sure to find an activity on the list below that will encourage you to get up and get moving, which will aid in the healing process. Be sure to check out the indoor activities below:
- Hickory Museum of Art in Hickory, NC
- Hickory Aviation Museum in Hickory, NC
- Catawba County Museum of History in Newton, NC
- Caldwell Heritage Museum in Lenoir, NC
- Waldensian Heritage Museum in Valdese, NC
- Silver Fork Winery, Morganton, NC
Don’t just take advantage of the EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region service area, but also take advantage of our skilled team of back pain experts. The doctors at the Spine and Pain Clinic of Carolina Orthopaedic Specialists, now EmergeOrtho: Foothills Region, can help diagnose and treat back pain. To learn more about treatments offered or request an appointment to see a specialist.